Goats/barber pole worms

Is there more than 1 type of barber-pole worms? If there is, can you describe both with differences and recommendations on treating?

Regular stomach worms and the barber pole worm (only one type of barber pole worm) are different and need different treatments.  If you have seen the Famacha scale of the color of the lower inner eyelids that was designed to tell if the goat had anemia and that anemia would be caused by most likely the barber pole worm.  Barber pole worms are best treated by using oral horse wormer called Safeguard (fenbendazole) - you triple the body weight of the goat you use that weight measurement to find the dosage on the plunger - put the lock on and give orally - you use this dosing regimen once a week for three weeks.  Along with this you also need to give the goat iron to help it build up its red blood cells - I use oral human Geritol liquid - works great.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County