Goats/Enlarged Teat

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
My Oberhasli doe has a enlarged teat.  She has not given birth in the last 6 years so it is not due to that.  We live in a terrible dusty area in Central CA.  I don't know if it is from laying in this horrible dust (which we are moving shortly to New Mexico).  It does not feel hard but it is very swollen.  I'm not sure about any large vet. in this area.  She does not mind me handling it at all.  I'm just not sure it this is common or something urgent.

Thank you so much for your time.

Carol

ANSWER: Is the teat discolored? If you milk the teat is there any liquid coming out?  Is the doe otherwise eating and drinking okay?  If you can take the doe's temp that would be helpful - use of a human digital thermometer is helpful.  No injuries to the teat that you can see? It is just the one teat that is affected?  I would start her on injectable penicillin at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day given intramuscularly in the rear thigh muscles using a 20 gauge 3/4 inch needle.  She will also need to have probiotics during the time she is on the antibiotics - yogurt works well.  You can also give her human aspirin at one 325 mg tablet (crushed and dissolved in a little hot water - can even mix with the yogurt) given orally every 4 to 6 hours for swelling and discomfort.  A temperature measurement would help us know if this is an infection, which it sounds like it is.  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: No discolored.  No liquid.  She is acting just fine.  No temp.  No injuries that I can see or feel.  Yes just one teat is swollen.  Do you still think penicillin should be given?  She seems to be in no discomfort at all.  Her temp registered as 101.9.  I did put some Tri-Care 3 way wound treatment that I use for all the animals and us as well.  I really don't like to give her medication if she doesn't need it.  If she were yours, would you still try the penicillin?

Thank you so much!

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  She still could have either an infection there.  If I see something swollen that should not be, even if there are no other symptoms, I start treatment with penicillin injectable.  I know some folks don't like to do this and that is certainly up to you.  You could watch and wait, checking for any liquid coming out or heat to the area or discoloration or redness to the teat or discomfort, or a temp over 102.5 (fever) and then start the penicillin at that point.  Hope that helps - Donna

QUESTION: How long would the penicillin given?  I haven't given anyone shots in a long time.  My husband would usually do it but he is in New Mexico working. I'm not sure if it's for 7 or 10 days.

I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.

Answer
Usually it is 5 days for possiblity of infection or 7 to 10 days when the infection is diagnosed.  This is a twice a day intramuscular injection.  You could also use LA-200 which is a long acting oxytetracycline that is given at 4.5 cc/100 pounds body weight once every other day for 5 doses - also should be given intramuscular but if that is not possible it is okay to give this subcutaneously, just not as effective.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres