Goats/goat illness

Hi Donna,
You helped me on Thursday with a problem and I could not figure out how to ask a followup question as it did not give me the option anymore.  I had the goat that would not eat and had the mucus in its droppings. You suggested the B1 vitamin, yogurt and penicillin treatment.

We started the penicillin on Thurs evening and the yogurt/vitamins on Fri evening. She seems to have more spunk and is moving around more but she still has no appetite.  When should we see improvement?  Any suggestions on getting her to eat?

It may take here 2 to 3 days after the antibiotics are started to really feel like eating.  The other issue, don't know if we talked about getting a temperature on her - anything over 102.5 would be a fever and this can cause a goat not to want to eat.  For a fever you would give one 325 mg human aspirin per 100 pounds body weight every 4 hours for a day or two until the fever is down.  If you don't have a thermometer to use you can just give her the aspirin as it will not cause any issues.  Keeping her hydrated is important.  If she does not start eating by Sunday I would make her a "mush" - I use human baby rice or oatmeal cereal or even regular oatmeal cereal - make it as you would to eat adding a little more water to thin it out - add molasses or karo syrup to it - mix in a blender and thin so it is easy to give in an oral drencher - about 1 to 2 cups every 6 hours will help her rumen stay alive, of course with the yogurt (probiotics) continued too as well as the vitamin B complex/B1 twice a day.  Let me know - Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County