Goats/pennicillin while preggo

one of my does jumped this fence either late last night or this morning, somehow she almost ripped  off the top pad  on her back right leg, my question is can i give her pennicillin since she is pregnant?

Yes, absolutely no issues - 3 cc per 100 pounds twice a day for 5 days - intramuscular given in the thigh muscles is best - use of 20 gauge 3/4 inch needle works well - not sure if you have given intramuscular injections but advise to draw back on the plunger once the needle is in to be sure you are not in a vein (blood will flow quickly into the barrel).  Some goats are allergic to antibiotics in their venous systems.  Also, during antibiotic therapy the goat also needs to be on probiotics daily.  Would also give either a CDT (CD and T/tetanus) toxoid booster (2 cc) or you can use tetanus toxoid (both are usually available at feed stores). Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County