Goats/Pygmy goat drooling

Question
Hello,

I have a 12 year old pygmy goat.  In the last few days he has not been himself.  He is drooling on the right only, right ear is floppy and right eye is tearing.  Any idea what might be wrong?  There is no swelling that I can see and he has had no changes in diet or routine.

Answer
Generally when a goat is drooling and one side or the other is more affected this is either a stroke or polio.  Has he been eating well? What is his temperature? (anything over 102.5 is a fever which indicates an infection.  The stroke can happen just from older age.  The polio generally occurs when a goat is not eating well or the rumen is not functioning well and that means not enough thiamine/B1 is getting to the brain so the symptoms of polio start.  Have you seen any mold in his feed at all?  Let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres