Goats/What is she doing?

QUESTION: Remember me? I asked about Lily last about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Well anyways, her and the buckling were in an empty pen, the buckling was making weird noises as a human would make. And Lily ( the doe ) Was not. She was just in the little shelter I had set up for the winter laying in there, and well doing nothing! Anyway, her top speed is honestly 1 mph. She is even fatter now. But I am still not 100% positive she is pregnant with more than 2 kids. Thanks for all your help!

ANSWER: Have you checked for her pelvic ligaments?  Does she have an udder, and if so is it full? Is she eating and drinking?  Is she peeing and pooping? Can you feel the kids moving inside? Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Well it's pitch black outside right now, but earlier when I went out to feed her and the other two goats she looked like her udder was full, I could be wrong though. And her ligaments are pretty weak. Why? Could she be trying to kid? And I did not feel her belly earlier so I may not know tell later tomorrow. Thanks, and I have to say - you get back to me faster than any other experts on the WHOLE sight do! Thanks for that.

ANSWER: Once the ligaments are totally gone - that is you cannot feel them at all - and her sides are also sunken in/her belly has dropped, that usually indicates she will kid within to 48 hours.  In the a.m. I would check her.  Also, generally they stop eating anywhere from 2 to 10 hours before kidding.  If she is eating and drinking would just watch and wait.  I always put my does in a "kidding stall" as they start to lose their ligaments.  Know this is not always possible for folks.  Also, once you do see her starting to push I only give them 20 minutes of hard pushing and if no kid or progress is seen by then you may need to help.  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Well. She is walking around and hanging out with the gelded goat. I may have been able to feel the kids move...but it was hard to tell. She was not wanting me to go near her belly. She walked up to me and then when I tried to feel she started to try to run. But I did not want to disturb. Also, I can't be home all day because I have this other thing to attend. But here's another thing I left out - she is in with the gelded goat, still in with the buckling and a llama. And the llama is very herd bound. So when should it be a good time to put her in the other pen I told you about. It's pretty enclosed from the others and has more shelter. ( it used to be for dog's ). Well anyways, that's all the other news.

Thanks for the update.  Can you feel her pelvic ligaments? These are the important ones to know if they are gone or not - these are the ones that run in a V shape from the V point at about 4 to 5 inches up from the tail head to where the V shape opens up down towards the pin bones.  

If you cannot feel the ligaments I would definitely put her and her possible kids if they are born when you are not home) out of harms way of the other goats (especially the llama and buck) in her separate pen.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County