Goats/Young Nanny goat

Question
We have a young nanny about 2 months old, we had to start bottle feeding her about 3 weeks ago, because her mama died. After she got the hang of the bottle she was doing wonderful. This past monday went out to her little pen and gave her her nightly bottle and she drank it all down fine, tuesday morning i went out to give her her morning bottle and she took a couple drinks and didnt want any more, didnt think much about it until i called my husband and he said she didnt take her noon bottle either, started to get concerned then. She wouldnt take that evening bottle or night bottle and been that way ever since, she has grain and fresh water kept in her privite little pen all the time. She will take just a few drinks out of the bottle then not interested. Then i noticed yesterday evening (thursday) that she is shedding her hair not in clumps but when you pet her there is a bunch on your hand. She goes out in the field with her wether brother and another nanny every day after lunch and stays till evening milking time. She gets (or is offered rather) fresh milk from a nubian. She seems fine except the hair thing and not drinking her bottle. When we run out of milk we give her kid milk replacer by land o lakes. Dont know her breed except she is half nubian. i think maybe her mama was part alpine. I know this is long and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Answer
Sorry for the delay in answering.  She may have pneumonia.  Is she pooping okay/pellets? I would not switch to total milk replacer - would do half and half.  Is she up to date on her CDT vaccinations? I would start her immediately on penicillin at 1 cc twice a day for 5 days.  This is given intramuscularly in the rear thigh legs - use of a 22 gauge 3/4 inch needle works best - have you given intramuscular injections before?  If not, once the needle is in the muscle you need to pull back on the plunger just a tiny bit to be sure you are not in a vein (red color/blood would immediately come into the barrel), and then you would pull out, dispose of the blood/penicillin mixture and re draw more penicillin.  Would start with a double dose for the first dose - so 2 cc.  She also needs probiotics during this time - use of one teaspoon of yogurt mixed with a little water to thin it and then give orally twice a day while on antibiotics.  Is she is not drinking her bottle or water she would also need to get orally drenched with human electrolytes such as pedialyte or gatorade.  Hope that helps - let me know - also, you're welcome to call me at 360-742-8310.  Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres