Goats/goats

Question
My 3 month old goat was dehorned 2 days ago by a vet after we tried to disbud her earler.She seam very depressed and  not playful at all. She is eating and drinking but not very agressful. She has a slight green color, no smell at the sight. What can I do for her? The vet said she will not need any antibiotic  He did give her a tetness shot. but I feel like I need to do something else for her??  I did read about the homeopathic and I will give them to her  Please help she is my favort goat and I hate seeing her depressed.

Answer
Was this a full dehorning - where the vet surgically removed the horn roots and the goat has a holes where the horns used to be?  I would take her temperature - anything over 102.5 indicates a fever which indicates an infection.  The "slight green color" is not normal at the site of any procedure.  I would start him on penicillin injectable intramuscularly at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 days.  She would also need probiotics at the same time - yogurt works fine given orally - I would take one tablespoon yogurt and mix a little water to thin it so you can give it as an oral drench.  If she is running a fever she could also be on aspirin (human 325 mg type) - giving one 325 mg tablet per 75 pounds body weight - crush the tablet and dilute in a little hot water, cool and give orally every 4 hours.  Glad the vet gave her a tetanus injection.  Depression is also a symptom of an infection.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna 360-742-8310

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres