Goats/sick buck

Question
Hi Donna , a lady emailed me about a very sick buck goat she has . She said he has had the scours and is off his feet now to weak to walk . She says she has wormed him hard and doesn't believe its worms but thinks it may be coccidi . I think it may be liver fluke as this has been the summer for it . I asked her what she used for wormer and am waiting a reply , also about eyelids and inner lips to see if they are pale . Personally , because of what I have experienced I don't believe there is much that can be done at this point , once they are down only a matter of a day or 2 , of course I have to see him . What do you think . I do have the meds to treat him , but don't really want to waste them if you know what I mean . If there's any hope I will try Thanks

Answer
How old is the buck? What color are the scours?  Green would be coccidiosis, brown is bacterial or digestive upset, yellow is enterotoxemia.  Glad you are asking about membrane color and what wormer she has used.  This also sounds like pneumonia - once they have the pneumonia many times they get diarrhea as their system is not functioning well.  I would have her start him on penicillin twice a day for 5 days, start worm regimen for liver fluke, probiotics, pepto bismol, vitamin B complex.  Would also be nice to know how long he has been having the symptoms - if a prolonged time period then it is probably too late to help him, if just within last day or two he may still be able to be helped.  Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres