Goats/goat in repeated heat

Hi Donna,

Checking in with you about my goat Blueberry again, but this time it's about her heat cycles: She is now in heat for the THIRD TIME in the last THREE WEEKS. What in the world?? She is the same one who was my "precocious milker" and gave milk for months without ever being bred, so I am thinking her hormones are really out of whack.

What to do? Ideas about what is causing it?

This happened earlier last summer and my vet gave her a shot to "reset" her clock, but now here we are again.

Any ideas you have would be much appreciated - thanks.

Remind me how old Blueberry is.  This certainly sounds like her hormones are off.  This could be due to selenium deficiency.  It could be due to an intrauterine infection.  It could be a genetic issue.  I would start with use of the oral selenium at ten of the 200 mcg human selenium tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that add all the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and all the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule.  Would give her a dose now and then repeat in 10 days.  Would see how she does after 20 days.  She may need a third dosing.  You can also try Pulsatilla, which is a human homeopathic regimen that is used to regulate cycles.  This is available online or at a supplement type store - these are just over-the-counter.  These come in a small container and are pelleted in form - cost is around $7 or so.  Would follow the human dosage which is usually 5 pellets once and then again in 2 hours and you can repeat the following day and again the following day - would recommend taking the pellets and allowing them to dissolve in a little hot water, let it cool and then orally drench the goat with this.  You will see a tiny part of the pellet left in the bottom, which is just the sugar that surrounded the homeopathic remedy.  

Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County