Goats/hoof collapse

Question
QUESTION: Why does a goat hoof collapse?

ANSWER: What exactly do you mean the hoof collapsed?  Is it the hoof wall that has lost shape?  Is it the hoof itself that has lost part of its structure? How long has this been going on?  What is the age of the goat?  Let me know and I will get back to you re some suggestions.  Donna

QUESTION: Maybe I should refer to it as his foot. The back part of his hoof is competely  on the ground. Directly up is his "ankle". He is a 6 year old wether. The foot collapsed about a week ago.

Answer
Thanks for the info.  So it counds like the pasterns have dropped and so the hoof has dropped.  This can be from genetics, or this can be from overwork of the rear legs, or this can be from nutrition, or this can be from selenium deficiency.  What type of feed regimen is he on?  Have you seen his parents and/or siblings?  Is he overweight at all?  Is he on regular dosing of selenium?  I might start with selenium dosing.  I use the human selenium with vitamin E and D - I do not use the Bo-Se injectable - the oral works as well as is over-the-counter at most drug stores and some other stores - for an adult goat they receive ten of the 200 mcg selenium tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, and to that mixture you add all the oil from a 1000 IU capsule of vitamin E, along with all the oil from an 800 IU of vitamin D - you just cut open the capsules and squeeze out the oil - mix together and give orally now and then repeat in 10 days.  Let me know about your other questions I have for you - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres