Goats/Sulfadimethoxine Soluble Powder dose for goats

Question
QUESTION: After researching on the net, I got a 107 gram package of Sulfadimethoxine Soluble Powder at a farm store last night. A man who worked at a competing farm store (my first attempt to get the medicine) told me that he had gotten help from you for his goat, although I don't know what their issue was. He told me that he gets (from the competing store) the powder (as opposed to the liquid to drench with)and puts it in yogurt. The powder is not labeled for goats. I was more prepared to try the liquid, but his way sounded better. However, I don't know what the dosage should be.  

Through process of elimination, I suspect that my adult female (about 100 pounds) and adult neutered male(about 150 pounds) Boer goats each have urinary  infections. I consulted by phone with two vets, one from the University of Columbia, and the other who is also about 2 hours away (no vets anywhere near here)about 3 weeks ago regarding calculi, although at the time it seemed that only the male was having difficulty urinating. They told me that it's very unusual for goats to get urinary infections, and that most likely culprit was the calculi. I followed the recommendations, including adding ammonium chloride (in Manna Pro Goat Minerals) to their diet. Not easy to get it in their systems reliably, but within a day or two he seemed back to normal. Shortly after that I noticed the female hunching, straining, discharge accumulating on her vulva. Then, about a week ago, the male started to show signs of difficulty again. Of course, the hair around his penis gets cruddy from the dripping and him laying down in whatever dirt they can find. I have seen him try to mount the female in the past, so I know that there is an "ick" factor.

Last night I was reading the posts here and became aware of the need for lemon juice treatment, so I will do that today.They always have clean water available, and heated buckets.

I know you suggest taking a temp, but I'm not sure that can happen. If the male says "NO", it's not going to happen. He put up quite a fight when I cleaned his male parts very gently with warm water, so he might not go along with the probing. Not sure what the female will do, but they are goats and do surprise  me often...

Can you tell me the correct dosage for goats for urinary infection and can I just put the powder in the flavored yogurt without diluting it? The man at the farm store, who told me about you, said his female eats the yogurt/medicine easily.
Sounded like a plan.

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi there - what type of feed regimen has the male been on.  It is generally only the bucks and wethers (castrated males) that get urinary calculi/stones.  These are usually caused by the incorrect calcium to phosphorus ratio, which for males should be 3:1 ratio i their feed.  So if he has bee getting a dairy goat type feed and/or alfalfa for his hay then it is likely that he has stones.  Using the lemon juice regimen usually helps - this is concentrated lemon juice and must be given the every two hours for three doses and then hold off for 8 hours and then treat again.  This is best done using a drencher to give this orally to be sure he has taken his dosing.  Is his abdomen/tummy distended/swelled up and hard?  

As for the doe, it sounds like a urinary tract infection - the sulfa should help - it is one teaspoon twice a day for 100 pounds of goat, given for 7 days.  I mix this with a little yogurt and then thin the mixture with a little water or pedialyte type electrolytes so that you can orally drench the goat with this to be sure she is getting the dosing.  If the goat will eat the yogurt mixture that's great, but if not thinning and orally drenching is needed.   It certainly is possible the male has a urinary tract infection too and so would also treat him with the sulfa powder the same way - it will not hurt him.

Hope this helps - let me know - feel free to call me too if you'd like at 360-742-8310.  Donna

QUESTION: At the time that the male goat manifested urinary problems his food regimen, since the vegetation leafed out last Spring, was forage. Bush Honeysuckle, rough-leaved dogwood, sassafras, and some daytime grazing on grasses, white clover, dandelions, and whatever lawn type weeds are in their field. My horse grazes with them and I'm careful about any known toxic weeds/plants. Sometimes they would get very small amounts of the orchard grass/alfalfa (roughly 60/40) mix hay that I feed my horse, but this was rare.

Since the vegetation is gone, they both get that same hay and Dumor Pelleted Goat Feed (Tractor Supply). The label indicates Calcium min is .75%, max 1.25% to .35% Phosphorus.

Prior to getting your answer, I dissolved aspirin in water and mixed it with the strawberry yogurt. Neither of them would touch it. After I got your answer, I dissolved the aspirin, put it and the sulfa powder in the yogurt then into a large syringe (no needle!). This was not entirely successful. A lot did not get into the goats. Will try something different next dose. Maybe less yogurt so it's done quicker! At any rate, they did not like it.

His abdomen is not distended/swelled up/hard. They both had a good pee right after they got the meds, with no hunching or visible discomfort, and they had consumed about a gallon of H2O during the day (between the two of them...)

I didn't do the lemon juice today. Will still try to fit that in tomorrow.
Thanks.

Answer
Thanks for the info.  Are they pooping okay? The Dumor feed probably has a little higher calcium than I would like as the feed could contain the 1.25% that would be too high of calcium.  And if it were the minimum that would make it less than 2:1, still not the best.  Re orally drenching, a large syringe works well but I prefer a drenching syringe - with either of these methods you would restrain the goat and tip the head up slightly then place the tip of the syringe or the drencher into the side of the mouth towards the back of the tongue and slowly squeeze the medicine in so the goat swallows it.  Re the yogurt, this is used as the probiotic during antibiotic therapy and usually one tablespoon twice a day is all that is needed.  Hope this helps - keep me posted - Donna  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres