Goats/Babies DOA and mom not bagged up
QUESTION: We were awaiting our first doe to deliver and found two babies this morning.. Neither alive.. She is one of our best millers usually, but she has no bag and really only a tbsp or so coming from either side. I've been reading and went ahead and gave her .5ml of oxytocin..not sure how long it is supposed to be b4 it helps or if it would in this situation? Thanks for your help!!
ANSWER: Is this her due date? Or was she late or early? What did the kids look like? Were they necrotic or not fully formed or? Has she been eating well and drinking well up to this time frame? Is the udder hot to touch or hard? Has she passed her placenta? Oxytocin really is only used to get the doe to pass the placenta. Is the doe otherwise in good shape - not fat or thin? Is she eating well today? Let me know - Donna
---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------
QUESTION: She was pasture bred and thought she was due in the next couple weeks from the way she was acting/looking; she had just had a "bug" from bad water my hubby accidentally gave her from our pigs that made her sick and not eat well or drink much for two days with diarrhea.. I treated her with grapefruit seed extract 3x/ day for those two days then that night had a very small amount of mucus, (she was now nibbling etc on food and getting up), thought it was maybe with the diarrhea..she was in a nice stall with a heat lamp just in case it was kidding night. Checked her in the early a.m. And found one frozen maybe still in sac, one licked off-- both quite small however. Vet said I should use the oxytocin to get her milk to still let down..I've only given one dose.
ANSWER: Thanks for the update. Sounds like she had leptospirosis and if so that would account for the miscarriage/kid goats' lungs not being mature enough or even their systems not being strong enough/old enough to survive. Oxytocin is okay to use on does, but generally they let down their milk within 24 hours of miscarrying or kidding. If the doe is not back to her normal self - eating and drinking well and peeing and pooping normally, would suggest treatment with antibiotics. Hope this helps - Donna
---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------
QUESTION: Thank you! I have penicillin available, do you think I should go ahead and treat her? Do you think milking will come? Should I use any more of the oxytocin? They rec 2x day .5ml each time.. Thank you so much for your help!!
Hi there - I would treat with penicillin just in case, this won't hurt her - 3 cc/100 pounds twice a day for 3-5 days - should be intramuscular - thigh muscle in rear legs is best place - re intramuscular injections you need to pull back on the plunger gently once the needle is in to be sure you are not in a vein (blood will enter the barrel immediately on pull back) - once clear complete injection. She also needs to be on probiotics during the time she is on antibiotics - yogurt or gel or powder is fine. If you have the oxytocin and since you have a vet available to you would go ahead and follow his/her direction on that - it certainly can't hurt her and may just bring her in sooner than waiting. If you do start the antibiotics you will need to wait at least 96 hours past the last dosing of penicillin in order to use the milk yourself - but if just giving to other animals or kid goats can use during the time she is on antibiotics with no side effects to the other animals. Do hope this helps. I hope your husband does not feel badly about giving her the possibly contaminated water - if the lepto is the cause that bacteria could be anywhere in any of the animal's water supply. Donna