Goats/Baby goat-followup

Question
QUESTION: The baby is now called Sweet Pea.  Last night she couldn't care less that I gave her a shot, this morning she didn't like it one bit.  When I took her back outside, she ran to her mother, ate like a pig then followed her mom.  The last I looked she was playing with her sister and the other baby goats.  I will still get the PCN and get her started on it.  Thanks for your advice.

ANSWER: Thanks for the update - she sounds like she is feeling great.  Is her poop drying up yet? You can also use an oral antibiotic for her too if you do not want to give injections - especially since she is seeming better - Sulmet or tetracycline or duramycin all could work well - let me know what you decide on and I can get you the doses for those, if you decide not to go with the penicillin.  You've done a great job.  I love her name!  Donna

QUESTION: I got the PCN.  What is the dose for a baby that weighs 10 lbs at the most.  It will work faster than oral abt.  Thanks for your help.

Answer
I always go first with the penicillin injectable, so glad you are going with it.  You are correct that it will work faster than oral meds.  1/2 cc twice a day for 3 days is the dosing - remember to draw back gently on the plunger once the needle is in the muscle (thigh) to be sure you are not in a vein.  Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres