Goats/Baby Nubian Doe

Question
My lil' baby doe was born this past Fri. The mother is a first time mom and is full Nubian as is dad. Her milk is so little that the first born was not able to get much. She was standing at first and tryin to walk, but by the next morning she was so cold and couldn't hardly move, or eat. I took her in, warmed her up and began to feed her colostrum. I didn't think she was going to make it, but by the end of the day (Sat) she was looking better. This is the second day (Sun) and she can barely stand.. I've taken her back out to her mom and she took her back, but she can't stand well enough or long enough to get to her teet. She keeps falling and takes forever just to stand again. Is this normal? I'm so worried. Any advice/help would be go welcomed.
Thanks,
Melissa

Answer
This is not normal for a kid goat.  I would advise taking the kid goat into the house and keeping her there - bottle feeding totally - the kid is at definite risk for illness that can easily be fatal to kid goats.  Colostrum at least once a day for 3 days to keep her immune system going along with regular interval bottles - she should be on every four hours and about 4 ounces each time.  Milk replacer would be fine if you do not have enough goat milk - regular multispecies milk replacer works well.  There also is a cow milk formula is you'd rather go that way - let me know.  The kid could have a pneumonia she is fighting or she could be just selenium deficient.  Would start her on antibiotics - oral at least or injectable is best - what do you have available to you?  Penicillin injectable is available at most feed stores and there are oral antibiotics such as Sulmet liquid that also works well.  Let me know.  I would also start her on selenium with vitamin E and D - crush one selenium 200 mcg tablet (this is the normal dose this comes in - this is a human mineral available at most drug stores just like the vitamin E and D are), crush the tablet, dissolve in a little hot water, add to that 1/2 of the oil in the 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and half the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule - mix well, cool and give orally.  Would repeat this same dosing tomorrow.  Again, I would strongly advise keeping the kid inside, warm, and where you are able to feed it and watch how it does once you start it on antibiotics and selenium.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres