Goats/goat with foot injury and now foot rot

Question
hi my goat has an infection in her hoof its starting to smell bad
i cut her hoof about a inch to far and now its starting to smell i took off the bandage that i put on it and it doesn't look good from my point of view it has whitish stuff coming out and I'm worried that it is serious could she lose her hoof if not treated correctly
i'll call the vet in the morning to see what he thinks we should do for her hoof

Answer
Wrapping a wound too tightly can stop healing.  Also, a deep wound like that may need extra air - so no wrapping, at least all day.  Would need to be in a clean small stall by itself.  Would start on penicillin at 3 cc/100 pounds twice a day for 7 days.  Also would need probiotics during that time period.  The injection is an intramuscular injection in the thigh muscle.  The smell indicates the infection is spreading.  If you can also clean the wound every day using hydrogen peroxide and then let dry and then put some sort of livestock antibacterial cream on it twice a day too.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres