Goats/goat with foot injury and now foot rot

hi my goat has an infection in her hoof its starting to smell bad
i cut her hoof about a inch to far and now its starting to smell i took off the bandage that i put on it and it doesn't look good from my point of view it has whitish stuff coming out and I'm worried that it is serious could she lose her hoof if not treated correctly
i'll call the vet in the morning to see what he thinks we should do for her hoof

Wrapping a wound too tightly can stop healing.  Also, a deep wound like that may need extra air - so no wrapping, at least all day.  Would need to be in a clean small stall by itself.  Would start on penicillin at 3 cc/100 pounds twice a day for 7 days.  Also would need probiotics during that time period.  The injection is an intramuscular injection in the thigh muscle.  The smell indicates the infection is spreading.  If you can also clean the wound every day using hydrogen peroxide and then let dry and then put some sort of livestock antibacterial cream on it twice a day too.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County