Goats/Goat health

Question
I have a 10 month old Nigerian Dwarf goat that is the only one in a 5 head herd with these symptoms. She has hair loss and flaky scaly skin around her eyes, base of her ears, and under her chin. I have heard to dust for mites, but I was worried about being so close to her eyes and mouth. She does not seem to be itching or rubbing it at all. Please help me help my baby

Answer
This could be mites, which occur in the wintertime often, or it could be selenium deficiency or a combination of both.  I advise livestock or poultry dust for mites, lice, etc.  and yes, you are correct about not wanting to get in their eyes or mouth (also don't breathe in the dust when you working with it) - you can make a poultice out of water and the powder so you can spread it over the affected area around the face but then I would also dust the rest of the body too and the bedding - some goats are more prone to getting these than others - sometimes it is their immune system lacking, especially during the winter months.  I would also recommend using Zimectrin (ivermectin) (you can also use the generic brands in the feed stores as long as they contain 1.87% ivermectin in them - they are usually cheaper) oral horse wormer and this kills external parasites from the inside out - if the goat is over 100 pounds you can use the measurement on the plunger for the dosage - you double the weight and put the lock on the nigher increment above that doubled measurement - if under 100 pounds, give 1/2 inch of the wormer - I just put the 1/2 inch (and it does not have to be perfect as you cannot overdose goats on this) on your finger and then place that over the tongue.  For the possible selenium deficiency (and this also helps with immune system function) give five of the 200 mcg human selenium tablets crushed and dissolved (you can fine these are regular vitamin stores or drug stores) in a little hot water and then to that add all the oil from a 1000 IU capsule of vitamin E and all the oil from an 800 IU capsule of vitamin D, mix well, cool and give orally to the goat and then 10 days later re dose.  By the 10 days hair growth should start and the flakiness should also start to go away.  Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres