Goats/goat labor and kidding

QUESTION: I had asked before about signs of labor in my new goat Rosie. Well she has finally gone into labor and has a amber colored discharge that is stringy. She has all the signs. She started about 5:30 this evening so hopefully we will have young ones soon. She seem's to be doing well. Thank's for your help before.

ANSWER: Very nice - yes, you should see some kid goats tonight.  I would advise that if you do not see any progression - hooves, nose, bubble - after 20 minutes of hard pushing that you help her out - let me know and do call if you'd like to - 360-742-8310

QUESTION: she had one fairly large buck,did well cleaning but woldn't let nurse  about 35 minutes later I helped deliver a doe that had her head first. I was able to get her feet out where they belonged. All went well from there. I actually remembered what I had read. She still wouldn't let nurse. We held her and tried with no luck. Finally brought babies in, warmed them up and fed a little. They are now back with her. She seems to be trying. Will see what happens.

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like Rosie had some great help - very nice job.  You were exactly right to take the kids inside and get them their colostrum.  If you do not see the kids eat today would continue bottle feeding - 24 hours of colostrum at least.  It sounds like you will keep a close watch on them.  Again, very nice job!  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County