Goats/Goat Trouble...

Question
About one month ago, I had a boer nanny, 3 years old, second time kidder, have a set of 3 babies. It was very cold the night she had them and so I had to move them to the house with mother and babies. I began the babies on supplement milk, and are still on it. The nanny was fine for the first two night in the house but and the babies were starting to come around from the cold chill. On day three she began to feel terrible... she still hadn't cleaned so we gave her some oxymoron( think that how you spell it)she cleaned a but not as much as i would have liked, we put her on sugar water, corn syrup, and electrolytic. We moved her back outside because she was becoming a big mess in the house and it was warm outside. She was eating a little grain and drinking and the kids were sucking a little. But then one morning I went out to do evening chores and she was lying down with her head drawed back and grinding her teeth. We increased her sugar water and nutri-stuff.We began her on anitbotanic for 5 days, even now and then she lets the kids nurse but rarely. No temp. little to none draining. do you have any ideas?

Answer
Most likely she has an intrauterine infection.  Would keep her on penicillin at 3 cc/100 pounds twice a day for 7 days along with probiotics.  She now has polio because she has not been eating - it is possible to bring her back from this - high doses of vitamin B1 thiamin which can be found in human B complex - she would need 10 B complex tablets (that has the thiamin in it) three times a day for 5 days - would need to crush the tablets and dissolve in a little hot water, cool and give orally. You said no fever, so not over 102.5? She can still have an infection and not have a fever.  It is possible that the infection has cleared but the reason she has her head drawn back and grinding her teeth is that she has the polio, which is always a secondary illness due to not eating.  She also needs to eat - I can give you a mush recipe for ill goats - will send that to you - Donna  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres