Goats/horn buds

Question
Hi Donna , how are you today . How long can one wait to have the horn buds burned ? This is not a practice i use , but a costomer wants a 4h goat so they'er taking one early and bottle feed . I wait till they grow in and then if i have a nasty goat i place elastics on and get rid of the horns that way , does a real nice job . Thanks .

Answer
I only recommend use of a disbudding iron - you can burn the buds/even small horns easily - we disbud kid goats at 10 days to 14 days - easiest time - I can walk you through it if you'd like.  Hope that helps - Donna

PS In the states 4H goats cannot have any longer than 1/2 inch of horn/horn scur showing in order to have them at fair.  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres