Goats/horn buds

Hi Donna , how are you today . How long can one wait to have the horn buds burned ? This is not a practice i use , but a costomer wants a 4h goat so they'er taking one early and bottle feed . I wait till they grow in and then if i have a nasty goat i place elastics on and get rid of the horns that way , does a real nice job . Thanks .

I only recommend use of a disbudding iron - you can burn the buds/even small horns easily - we disbud kid goats at 10 days to 14 days - easiest time - I can walk you through it if you'd like.  Hope that helps - Donna

PS In the states 4H goats cannot have any longer than 1/2 inch of horn/horn scur showing in order to have them at fair.  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County