Goats/market goat judging 4-H

Question
Hi Donna,  Thanks for taking questions.  We got a Boer (mix?) from an auction about a week ago. We didn't realize that he had frost bite on his ears until after we had purchased him. We didn't have a lot of time to look and i thought that his ear was just turned up by his tag, but when my daughter was holding him in her lap we noticed that the bottom of the ear was just gone. now it look like the bottom of the other one is going to come off too. I wonder how this affects judging and if there is anything i can be doing for him? he is inside and nice and warm now. I also was wondering how judges view the end of the ears on Boers being folded up?        Thank you!   Bev.

Answer
Hi there - generally if there is a fault that is not genetic and does not hurt the performance of the goat then most judges will not mark down for that - and in my opinion, 4H judges really are more lenient (as I am) when it comes to small, nonperformance faults.  Depending on what type of judge you end up with for market/meat goats - if it is an ABGA (American Boer Goat Assoc.) judge they may be very tough even on little things.  On the ABGA scorecard there is a statement that lengthwise folded ears and short ears are definite faults - but these would be a genetic malformation, not one from injury.  But generally the bottom line for a market or meat goat is the body conformation as concerns meat production.  So, with all that said, I would say if you have a nice conformation in the goat then the results of injury, especially ones that are not going to change the basic type standards of a market/meat goat, there should be no issues for the judge.  Glad you have the little one in - hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres