Goats/Mineral block

I was at my local feed store and was about to get a mineral lick. I asked what they had available and something was said about (cobalt or kobalt not sure of spelling)  I asked what it would for my goats and that a local goat farmer had just bought eight of the blocks and said they worked great for his goats. There  who could explain how it would help. Please let me know what it will do for my Kiko-Boer goats. Thank you

Hello - to answer your question about cobalt it helps to synthesize B vitamins in the goat's system.  With that said a goat does not need a lot of cobalt.  I always recommend use of horse or livestock salt bricks/blocks/loose salt - these generally always have cobalt, selenium, and copper, and other minerals goats need (selenium is really the most important mineral for goats) - these are not only less expensive than most "goat" minerals but also work as well.  Some of my goats like loose salt and some like the bricks.  Hope this helps.  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County