Goats/new born

Hi Donna , one of my goats Clemintine gave birth to a healthy little buck . I didn't even know she was due , so i guess the buck paid her a visit before i knew . Anyway i just found him out in the goat common area , and mom had him pretty much cleaned up , maybe an hour old . He is standing but doesn't seem interested in milk at all . I see the black poo has come though . I did try to give him a bit of closterium in a bottle , but he won't accept it . This is a first for me usually they will take it straight away . He does seem very tired so I'm thinking hes just not wanting milk just yet . How long before he should actually have a bit of milk , and how should i administer it if he won't accept it ? This is a first time freshener , but appears to be attentive to his needs with the exception of cleaning his rear .

Hi there - What's the weather like where you are - if it's cold then he has hypothermia and I would take him inside and keep him warm and get him to drink colostrum from a bottle - once he is warmed up and get's a little rest it's likely he will be hungry and take the bottle - would not wait longer than 4 hours before he gets some colostrum down him - you can also use a small syringe to see if he will take some, but might let him warm up first.  It is also possible that he could be selenium deficient and would also give him one 200 mcg selenium tablet crushed, dissolved and to that add one half of a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and one half of an 800 IU vitamin D capsule, mix, cool and give orally.  Would give the selenium as soon as you can.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County