Goats/newborn male goat

We have a newborn male, mixed breed, goat that is 72 hours old and he will not suckle the mother, a nipple or a finger and he has very little control of his back legs.  Have you heard of this?  We are getting fluids in him by syringe.  Do you know of anything else we can or should be doing for him?  Thank you for your help.

Give him 1/8 cc of Bose. Could be white muscle disease, or lack of selenium/vitamin E. If you do not have BoSe, open a capsule of vitamin E and give him that. You need to tube feed him, so go to feed store to get the equipment. It is hard to give enough fluids by syringe and they can aspirate. Good luck.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law