Goats/pygmy goaties

I have rescued three pygmies and have had them and others at our goaties house.  The three that I have kept have tails with thin hair at the end, not a fishtail that I have seen on goat websites.  The goat is soft on the white doe Isabella, my white, brown and black, Spanky but the brown goatie, Button is more course.  I feed grain daily, plenty of grass hay or large acrage of grass in the summer.  They have a goat block with selenium and copper which they chew on and they have clean water, warm when it turns cold.  The pen is really a enclosed, insulated "house" with igloos for each.  The heat lamp keeps it between 32 and 38.  During the summer nothing is eclosed and the barn door is left open so they have access to their fenced area.
I am telling you this all because our hoof trimmer, whom raises dairy goats thinks they are copper defecient.  Does it sound like it.  What else should I look for when it comes to gums, teeth, nose color, etc.?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Helen Warren
Pygamy Goat Rescue

Sorry for the delay in answering -computer glitch.  Sounds more like a selenium deficiency, even with a selenium block some goats just do not eat enough selenium.  If these are adult goats would give each goat ten of the 200 mcg selenium tablets crushed and dissolved in hot water, then add all the oil from a 1000 IU capsule of vitamin E and all the oil from an 800 IU capsule of vitamin D, mix well, cool and give orally.  You would repeat this in 10 days but should see improvement in more hair and less coarseness in the one goat at that time.  Hope this helps - let me know.  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County