Goats/Re: Migi & salted peanuts

Hi Donna,
Thanks for getting back to me anyways i know u told me about giving Migi good snacks & i want to give him some salted peanuts w/the shell like u suggested but i'm afraid that if i give him the salted peanuts with the shell that the shell will poke his stomach if he dosen't chew it good. Or is it okay? Let me know Thanks Donna

Me & Migi

Actually things like peanut shells are like sunflower seeds (with the shell on) in that when they get to the rumen they have been softened up a bit but still have rough enough edges that they creat little tears in the rumen lining (tiny, tiny ones) that allow more good bacteria to grow and thus give the goat a better working rumen.  This is the same thing that hay does for the rumen.  So, no peanut shells won't hurt him.  And, most of the time goats just crunch on the peanut one or two times and down it goes.  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County