Goats/Re: Migis diagnosis

Hi Donna,
Just got up from sleeping with my eyes all swollen from so much crying. Its hard b/c everytime i go to his pen theres still the hay that is left there & i stand there touching the gate and envisioning him looking at me. I have everything as is but now that hes passed my sister & i were reading symptoms of LISTERIOSIS, TETANUS, & POLIO, & POISIONING, & the symptoms are just so similiar its just too hard to diagnose but i need closure as to what he passed from. U know DONNA when he first got sick his bleats were normal like i could tell when it was a normal bleat & a bleat that was of concern. When he bleated the first time it sounded like he wanted to be let off his runner however the second bleat was like a PANIC and/or a bleat that sounded like something had stung him or bit him so i ran outside and untied him & as soon as i did he was acting very abnormal he kept bleating louder & louder reaching to scratch or bite the side of his belly ran wild & stopped stamped his feet ran again continuing to bleat louder & louder he couldn't keep still running wild from one spot to another continuing to stamp his feet then sneezing like trying to clear his nose & shaking his head violently wouldn't stop kept walking & walking running at times i couldn't control what was going on so i gave benadryl and he seemed to calm down for awhile but then the SEIZURES started and i notice that he kept falling, stumbling, gaitiness, front legs/black legs spread out like a figure of a rocking horse stance, but the most outstanding symptoms was like the littlest noise he would get excited & stand erect & stand at attention looking around & shaking his head & when then he would continually fall front/back legs spread apart i had to run couple of times outside only to find him sprawled out like that. I kept trying to pick him up then he'd be fine for an hr or 2 then his symptoms would recur only to have it more frequent instead of 1/2 hr it was now every 1/2 hr with drooling/foaming at the mouth then every 10/15 min intervals, i'm now starting to recall step by step progression of this HORRIBLE HORRIBLE SCARY ILLNESS that took my babys life. Any suggestion/info on a diagnosis would would surely put my mind at ease & have final closure. Thanks so much Donna! Love u!

Me & Migi

Glad you had some sleep - you will keep playing Migi's illness over and over in your head for a while - but that's an okay thing - glad you had the vet come out to take care of things.  Migi has crossed the rainbow bridge and is in the fields running and playing with other goats - but you know he won't forget all you did for him.  Love you - hang in there - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County