Hi Donna how are you tonight . That was some kind of storm we had here , hurricane forse winds , snowdrifts 8 feet , and bare ground elsewhere . Anyway i am wondering how old should these kids be to worm them ? Really don't want to take chances this year . Re Maple , i can't figure her out . Everything tells me she should be eating like a horse and yet she continues to pick at her food . I've done about everything i can , vitamins , selenium , probiotics etc . Shes not in pain at all , her temp is good , her poops are normal . Mostly she wants to stay under that heat lamp . I gave her some chopped apples , lettuce and carrots tonight and that was a big success . The only thing i really haven't done is try her on a full course of antibiotics . When she started shriving from the cold i gave her 1 shot of noramycin , and for a couple days she was doing better . I don't know what I'd be treating , but i can't see the harm in it at this point . Somehow i need to get her eating more than she is or most certainly she will die . O i did get the seiner horse feed and she would rather eat boc , but i mix in a bit with the boc . Any advice you can give me will be appreciated . Thankyou .

Heard about the storm - wow!  I normally don't like to worm kid goats until at least 2 months of age - you could worm earlier if you use a half dose and either the Zimectrin or Safeguard without issues as early as 2 to 4 weeks.  Re Ms. Maple I think I would advise a course of antibiotics.  Has she been on vitamin B complex at 4 times the human dose daily? Might also try that for the course of the antibiotics.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County