Goats/worming lactating nannies and kids

Is it safe to worm nannies while the are feeding kids. How old do kids have to be before worming. What should I use?

The only worming regimen/wormers I would advise for does to be given during their feeding of their kids is use of Zimectrin (ivermectin) and Safeguard (fenbendazole) oral horse wormers - you use twice the body weight of the goat and find that measurement on the plunger of the tube and then place the lock on it and give that orally - you start with one wormer and then 2 months later go to the other wormer, then 2 months and so on, back and forth between the two wormers.  I would start with Safeguard.  Also, you can start the kid goats on their worming regimen beginning at 2 months of age.  Both wormers are safe for all production of goats.  Other wormers are not acceptable for does in milk with kids drinking that milk.  Hope that helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County