Goats/1 day old baby goat

QUESTION: My husband found one of my dads baby goats laying out side and it looked like it was dead and had been trampled. Well he was barley alive but I rushed inside and started rubbing him right away. His breathing is better today but his I think right front leg is very tight up by the shoulder and is curved in to the chest at the bottom. He is very small and is drinking from either a bottle or syringe. But he is weak and cant use his front legs. What if any thing can we do to help his legs? OO also his eyes are not open. Although he has been trying to open them when he hears me!!!

ANSWER: Do you know if this is a full term baby goat? Sounds like he is not full term and that is why his eyes are not open.  Because he was outside and stressed I would start him on antibiotics for pneumonia - oral antibiotics are fine - what do you have available to you? Let me know.  Re the legs I would assume that is selenium deficiency - you would crush one 200 mcg selenium tablet and dissolve in a little hot water, then add to that mixture half the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and half the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule - mix, cool and give orally, then repeat in 2 days, may have to repeat in 4 days depending on how his leg is doing.  If he is really full term the closed eyes could also mean they are infected from an intrauterine infection.  The oral antibiotics should help with that.  Let me know - Donna
You're also welcome to call me at 360-742-8310.

QUESTION: Well from what I have read so far Im pretty sure ( Miracle) is preterm! His hoofs are still really soft and his teeth are not through. Which is why I was thinking his eyes where not opened yet. Although like I said he does try to open them when he hears me. He is drinking a little but I have to use a syringe. He sleeps almost all day which I would rather him do then try to get up and walk. Which he has tried to do. We where thinking about splinting his 2 front legs and trying to do some exercise with them. Do you think this would be a good idea? What should or could we use to splint his legs?

ANSWER: No splinting - not good for goats in most situations, especially newborn kid goats.  Hooves are soft too in full term kid goats - they dry up within about one day of birthing.  Many times teeth are not showing yet either.  Sleeping all day indicates he is ill and that he is weak.  He needs colostrum the first day of life and if you do not have goat's colostrum use of powdered colostrum works just as well.  Kid goats must have 10% of their body weight in colostrum and milk to survive.  Would advise the antibiotics as soon as possible.  Would advise the selenium with vitamin E and D (which are all human type vitamins/minerals) found at drug stores and some grocery stores.  Keeping him warm too is important.  Getting him to suck is important and the selenium also helps strengthen his suck reflex.  You would need to give him probably 20 ml of colostrum every 2 hours for the first day of life.  Hope this helps - let me know.

PS Feed/farm stores carry many types of oral antibiotics - let me know what your feed store carries and I will advise which one is best - call me anytime - Donna

QUESTION: So I tried calling the number you gave me and left a message. We have some goat penicillin injectable. Not sure how much to give him. He weighs 4lbs 4ozs. He is acting ALOT better. He is getting feisty and has one eye open!!! What a surprise I had this morning!! Although he is sneezing and coughing. He is now drinking colostrum mixed with formula. Although we will have to try and work with his legs. I am trying to keep him warm!!! He is usually in bed with us or in my laundry basket wrapped in a towel. BUT I am 24 weeks along with my 3rd child and have the ceiling fan on. But at night I keep the basket a little more then half covered to help him stay warm!!

Kimberly Raeihle

call or text

Sorry I did not get your call - 360-742-8310 - 1/2 cc of the penicillin twice a day.  So glad he is doing better.  The selenium is important for the legs so would advise getting that started right away as well as the penicillin - I am home from work so if you'd like to try a phone call I'm here - thanks - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County