Goats/1 day old kid unable to use legs

Yesterday Tinkerbell delivered 3 kids.  The "runt" is not able to stand or use her legs at all.  I made sure she fed, but she's incapable of doing so by herself.  I'm not sure what needs to be done about her legs, but I have already started bottle feeding.  Is this something that will clear up or should i try splints? Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks

Sorry for the delay in answering - Most likely this is selenium deficiency - would start her on one 200 mcg selenium tablet crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that add half the oil from a 1000 IU capsule of vitamin E and half the oil from an 800 IU capsule of vitamin D - mix, cool and give orally.  Would repeat this tomorrow and probably again the next day. You should see improvement in a 24 hour period with her legs being stronger.  No splints.  Glad you are bottle feeding - very nice.  Let me know - Donna 360-742-8310

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County