Goats/5 day old buckling SICK

Question
RAPID BREATHING,  INCREASED HEART RATE,  SURGES OF QUICK MOVEMENT,  TEMP 103.4, MOTHER WASNT.PRODUCING ENOUGH MILK SO I.SUPPLEMENTED W (BUTTERMILK, WHOLE MILK AND CARNATION MIXTURE)  RECIPE WAS BORROWED FROM A LOCAL GOAT PERSON AND WORKED GREAT ON ONLY OTHER BOTTLE FED GOAT. LAST BM WAS 7HRS AGO LAST URINATED 15 MIN AGO. NOT INTERESTED IN EATING WITHIN LAST 5 HOURS.
PLEASE HELP.

Answer
HI Cally- sorry for the delay - I have been out of power until recently -
How much has the baby had in each bottle? With newborns I only give 1-2 ounces every hour or so - until they  perk up and  actually act hungry - a baby will eat too much if allowed to nurse till it stops..  the dams will allow a little at a time  often for newborns so try to mimmick that - Sounds like possibly baby got too much milk and has a gut issue - since the last movement was so long  ago (at this writing 7 hours) I would give a small enema - if he is plugged up this will help  alleviate the pressure  and he will want to eat -  if his gut aches he won't eat - if the  milk sits in the gut too long  it could go toxic - Do you have CD Antitoxin on hand? if so  give him an injection every 3 hours (I use 2ccs SQ) this will kill any  toxins built up in the gut  -
here is how to give an enema:http://goat-link.com/content/view/92/74
Here is what I mean by CD antitoxin -Clostridium Perfringens C & D Antitoxin  (it is NOT the same as CDT Toxoid) :http://goat-link.com/content/view/159/168/

goatlady

Goats

Goatlady