Goats/angora goat exima

My 2 y.o. angora goat is recovering from a lice infestation and has flaky itchy skin which she scratches until it bleeds.  Is Benadryl a possibility for relieving the itchieness?  Anything else?

If the lice are gone then most of the flaky/itchy skin should be cleared up.  With that said, whether or not the lice are gone you can help treat the scratching with Benadryl Children's - using their weight dosing or you can use an anti-itch dog medication (over the counter) although with the topical the goat may lick it.  If there was hair loss and the flaky skin this could be selenium deficiency too.  Is the rest of the hair coat thick and soft? Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County