Goats/angora goat exima

Question
My 2 y.o. angora goat is recovering from a lice infestation and has flaky itchy skin which she scratches until it bleeds.  Is Benadryl a possibility for relieving the itchieness?  Anything else?

Answer
If the lice are gone then most of the flaky/itchy skin should be cleared up.  With that said, whether or not the lice are gone you can help treat the scratching with Benadryl Children's - using their weight dosing or you can use an anti-itch dog medication (over the counter) although with the topical the goat may lick it.  If there was hair loss and the flaky skin this could be selenium deficiency too.  Is the rest of the hair coat thick and soft? Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres