Goats/billy with bald spots

Question
I have a 5 yr old Nigi Billy that I noticed has some bald spots on his neck. They look very scaly and dry to me. He is loosing alot of his winter hair of course so I brushed him out a bit this morning. Some of his hair also looks as if it is shorter ( maybe breaking off more than other parts) Not sure how to describe. He had a collar on so I removed it also.  My other billy is a chocolate color and I noticed on him. His longer hair in patches iss real shiny and dark, but all the rest is a faded dull color and real short. I do not however notice any baldness on him. I did worm them both about a month ago w/ horse paste.  What would u suggest I try. Though about dusting them but worried about the babies in the lot licking that off ground.

Answer
Sounds like dry skin and hair loss from selenium deficiency.  What "horse paste" did you use? Would start with giving each ten of the 200 mcg human selenium tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water mixed with all the oil from a 1000 IU capsule of vitamin E and all the oil from an 800 IU capsule of vitamin D, mix well, cool and give orally now, and repeat same dosing in 10 days (at 10 days you should see some improvement - smoother/soft skin/no dryness and hair coat softer/shinier and perhaps some new hair growth).  Would hold off on dusting for mites/lice - it could be these but would go with selenium deficiency first - treat then and if no improvement perhaps then go to dusting.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres