Goats/Buck lost hair around one eye

Question
Hi Donna,
I have a one yr old buck that was given yearly shots of Covexin, Mu-Se and Dectomax on Jan. 5th.  I then noticed that one of my girls was losing hair around her legs and it was scabby so I went ahead and treated all my goats with Ivormectin Pour-on.  All the goats showed huge improvement with health and their coats improved vastly.   I figure between getting their shots plus the pour on boosted their over all health.
Now for my problem....I just noticed that the buck has lost all the hair around one of his eyes.  I can't imagine what is going on.  Could this be a mineral deficiency?  Mites?  The pen was just cleaned out, which we do regularly and they are fed Payback Boer Goat grain ( he gets grass pellets), Alfalfa, Timothy Hay, local hay and Sweetlix minerals is out free choice.  Any advice is appreciated.
Missy

Answer
Hello - first off I advise never using pour on on goats - their fast metabolism can easily cause the pour-ons to become toxic to them.  Use of Zimectrin oral horse wormer is better and safer for them (this has ivermectin in it).  I also suggest not using Covexin - this is designed for sheep and the only vaccinations there for goats are the Clostridium type C&D and tetanus.  I use CDT toxoid - also safer on all goats, and is started in the kid goats at 10 days to 2 weeks of age.  The Mu-Se is also not advised for goats - it was designed for horses.  Over the past 15 years I have used oral selenium with vitamin E and D (all human) and these work very well.  I can give you the dosing for any of the above if you'd like.  

Now to your question - most likely this is selenium deficiency - use of ten of the 200 mcg selenium tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to this all the oil from a 1000 IU capsule of vitamin E and all the oil from an 800 IU capsule of vitamin D, mix well, cool and give orally.  You would repeat in 10 days, at which time you should also see new hair growth.  

Re the alfalfa - I advise against this hay for bucks and wethers as a high concentrate of calcium, which alfalfa has, can cause urinary calculi.  If you want to use this as an extra hay use of ammonium chloride salt placed in a water bucket once a week (one tablespoon) along with mixing in some sweetener (Kool-aid type) to get the goat to drink all the water mixture, will help keep calculi from growing.  

Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres