Goats/dewormer for goats

Question
Hi: one of my goats had "worms" according to stool sample from vet, so I gave her Noromectin orally, on 3/2/13. She is eating hay but is losing a little weight. I am also giving her Red Cell, 30 cc every day, per the vet. Eyelids are light pink, not the dark pink that I would like to see, but truthfully, the other 5 goats have always had medium pink for color. All of them are between 5 and 6 years old. Sadly, one of my goats had to be euthanized by the vet due to worm overload last week. Question is this: can I now give the "wormy" goat another different dewormer without harming her?

Answer
I have not heard of a goat having to be euthanized due to worm overload.  When you say the eyelids you are talking about the lower inner eyelids, correct?  These eyelids should be a rosy pink, not dark pink.  Do the goats have normal pellets for poop?   Normal intestinal worms do not generally cause anemia (lack of color in the lower inner eyelids) but can cause lack of condition, loss of weight.  Anemia is usually caused by either liver flukes (this time of year I doubt that) or the barber pole worm.  An overload of stomach worms could cause a slight anemia and loss of weight too.  Would advise trying the following - to cover for all stomach worms and barber pole worm, without being harmful to the goats.  Use of Safeguard oral horse wormer (not the liquid goat wormer) using three times the goat's weight to find the dose on the plunger of the wormer, you set the lock there and put the tip of the wormer tube in the goat's mouth.  You repeat this again the next week and the next week (total of three weeks treatment) - this is just once a week for the three weeks.  You can certainly continue the red cell if you like.  Let me know about the poop and the eyelids.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres