Goats/Goat constantly stiff

Question
QUESTION: Goodmorning Donn,
I want to thank you for all you do for your readers.  You've helped me with my goats more than you possibly know.  
I have two 2year old fainting Goats.  The degree of their fainting, according to the breeder is about a 5.  Which i believe means they are on the high side.  My questions is this.  My one wether seems constantly stiff lately, more than ever.  It takes him a while to get up and get moving.  Once he is up and warmed up, he is better.  Is that normal.  My female is fine, she's never stiff like him.  Any help would be great.. Thanks in Advance

ANSWER: Hi there - is the stiffness after he has gotten up from his myotonic falling? The stiffness can be from the myotonic status being so high and that does not allow the muscles to get back to normal easily.  This also could be just from selenium deficiency.  Would use oral selenium with vitamin E and D now and again in 10 days.  You might also want to give vitamin C, E and omega supplements (all human type and you can use the human dosage on a daily basis) as these help for muscle recovery after exercise in people.  Otherwise he is eating and drinking well, pooping and peeing well?  No other symptoms except the stiffness?  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Hi again Donna,
Well the stiffness seems to be most of the time, not just after a myotonic fall, its more like when he gets up from being idle for a while, the worst being in the morning.  If he's been up and about grazing then he seems better.  He's not very active at all otherwise, sometimes I try to get him to run around cause it worries me that he's so idle. He doesn't jump up on his table or the bench anymore.  The female does all that and she'll run around like a wild woman somethimes.  They both seem very happy otherwise.
I give them loose mineral from hoeggar.  He eats and poops and pees well..
I will try the selenium and vitamin mix anyway..

Ingrid

Answer
Thanks for the update.  I would start him on a daily regimen of vitamin E, vitamin C and omega 3 - use the human dose, dissolve in a little hot water and give orally.  Might try this for 5 days and see how he does.  Would give ten of the 200 mcg selenium tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water with all the oil from a 1000 vitamin E capsule and all the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule added, mix, cool and give orally.  Would repeat in 10 days.  Let me know how he does - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres