Goats/jelly hooves

Question
I have a 12 hour old newborn goat that had to be pulled out of the mother because of a breech sibling.  His hooves are like jelly and I see where you are saying to give him selenium.  How much of a dose and does it usually clear it up?

Answer
The soft/jelly hooves can be from selenium deficiency or from immaturity.  At 12 hours if he still has the jelly like hooves would give him one 200 mcg tablet of selenium crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that add half the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and half the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule, mix well, cool, and give orally.  Would repeat tomorrow.  This generally takes care of it if it is from selenium deficiency, and many times the "runt" is deficient.  Is this little one otherwise eating well for you?  Let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres