Goats/jelly hooves

I have a 12 hour old newborn goat that had to be pulled out of the mother because of a breech sibling.  His hooves are like jelly and I see where you are saying to give him selenium.  How much of a dose and does it usually clear it up?

The soft/jelly hooves can be from selenium deficiency or from immaturity.  At 12 hours if he still has the jelly like hooves would give him one 200 mcg tablet of selenium crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that add half the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and half the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule, mix well, cool, and give orally.  Would repeat tomorrow.  This generally takes care of it if it is from selenium deficiency, and many times the "runt" is deficient.  Is this little one otherwise eating well for you?  Let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County