Goats/lamb

Question
Hi Donna , i have a 2 day old lamb i rescued from certain death as he has a problem getting to his feet . Once up he is fine but when he lays down again he ends up on his side and can't get up . He has been drinking very well till today . Last night was a terrible cold night and even with a heat lamp he was cold . I got two onces in him . He has a little raddle in his chest so i gave him a shot of pen fast acting 2cc . I'm not used to lambs so is this ok ? and do i need probiotics also ? Hes basically sleeping on his feet now , i have brought him in the house where its warm . Thanks
Any advice is welcome .

Answer
So glad you brought him in the house.  Sounds like pneumonia.  Penicillin works great - usual dose is 3 cc/100 pounds and for newborn kid goats and lambs I use 1/2 to 1 cc twice a day for 3 days.  Does not need probiotics currently at this age.  He also is most likely selenium deficient - would give one 200 mcg human selenium (crush and dissolve in a little hot water) and then to that add half the oil from a 1000 IU human vitamin E capsule and half the oil from an 800 IU capsule of vitamin D - mix, cool and give orally - repeat this the following day.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres