Goats/no milk

I have a healthy boer doe that has kidded with twice with healthy triplets however she does not develop a udder and very little to almost no milk she is very sound otherwise and i own her mother which always produces lots of milk is there something i can give her prior to kidding  or is this something that is hormonenal any help would be appreciated

Strangely enough, none of the goat books seems to address this, not even Goat Medicine, which was written for veterinarians. If the udder is not hard, then it may just be a genetic condition. Goat Medicine mentions studies in France, where goats were given hormones to induce lactation when they were not pregnant, but then gives reasons why you should not do it.

You can try some herbal methods, or even try milking her between feedings and giving the milk back to the kids. That should stimulate production, if it can be done. Herbal and natural methods include giving oats, turmeric, nutritional yeast, fennel and fenugreek, among others.

A final thought: has she been tested for CAE virus? That can cause an udder to become hard and not produce milk.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law