Goats/Newborn kid

Our newborn kid is 1 day old now.  So cute!  Was wondering when it is safe to return the daddy in the same pen and baby and mom? I want the mom the be able to heal and want the baby to be safe. Our buck is so sweet and gentle but he does have horns.  Thank you

Hi D,
It all depends on how he is in with the baby and mom,  most of the time they are very gentle,  but if he feels his relationship with 'the mom' is threatened he may knock the baby - usually not hard  but all you can do is to try it in the morning and observed all day to see how it goes before you leave them together at night- I suspect he should be fine - I have my bucks in with moms and babies quite often without incident. All my goats have horns as well.

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University