Goats/oversized teats

Question
Hi Donna , my french alpine just delivered two beautiful buck kids . Big and hearty . They have been trying to get milk from the doe pretty much since they were born . This doe has gigantic teats , 9 inches long and as big around as coke bottles . I took milk off her and fed them myself , but I'm wondering is it possible they can nurse her at all . I did manage to get them to suck if i held the teat up , but if they loose it they can't find it . I guess what I'm asking should i take the responsibility of feeding them till at least i see them suckling ?

Answer
Would suspect the kids would not ever be able to suck off of mom - so you are doing the right thing with bottle feeding them - it is possible if the kids do get big enough at 6 weeks of age they could feed off of mom's teats, but by then they would be used to the bottle.  So, in answer to your question, yes, I would just feed them and that way you know they are getting what they need.  Hope that helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres