Goats/Paralyzed baby goat

Snap is her name and she drinks her milk well.  About a week after she was born she started favoring her left hind leg. After a couple of days she did not use it at all and held it off the ground.  A couple more days she could not stand on her other hind leg either.  That was yesterday.  Today she is dragging her whole hind end and can't stand to pee and poop properly.  I read about your ideas about floppy kid syndrome.  Could this be a possibility?  She is a pure bred sanen and I hate to loose her.  I will start her on a regiment of solarium and vitamin E and D like you suggested for the other baby goat.  I hope this works.  Thank-you.

I would suspect floppy kid syndrome.  Glad that she is able to drink her milk.  It is selenium, not solarium.  Would start with two (normally this is just one for a newborn, but we want to get going on the syndrome issues) 200 mcg human selenium tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and then to that add half the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule (just the oil/no capsule) and half the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule (again just the oil), mix, cool and give orally now, again tomorrow, again the next day.  She may need two more days after the third day too.  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County