Goats/penicillin for metritis

Question
QUESTION: In one of your posts you gave a dosage of Pen G for retained placenta/metritis  The dose on my bottle gives it in units per pounds of body weight.  300,000 units per 100 pounds per day which is 1 cc, so my 80 pound doe would need 0.8 cc daily according to that dosing rate.  What is the correct rate for goats as this bottle does not list goats, just sheep cattle and swine.  I'm not sure what is actually going on with my doe.  She has been doing well until yesterday.  She is alpine and had a single male kid on 2/25.  She has been on about a pound of 1/2 wet cob and 1/2 allstock twice a day and alfalfa twice a day and green pasture during the day.  I put vitamin and mineral electrolytes into her drinking water and have given Calcium drench before and after delivery.  BoSe oral gel several times just after delivery so I think there should not be a problem with electrolyte  or mineral imbalances. Yesterday they were put out to a new pasture of grass so it was wetter that usual so I was on the watch for signs of bloat.  Everybody seemed well last night but she seemed restless and looked kind of bloated so I drenched her with oil and baking soda.  This am she was looking normal but acting even more restless and would not let me milk her without tying her up and then it was still a struggle.  She was not really interested in eating.  She has been having a lot of lochia still and I was thinking maybe metritis so would start her on Pen G.  Her temp was OK at 38.5.  so not sure where to go now.  Do you think she is just trying to pass the oil out of her system and has some stomach upset from that?   Maybe I am just over thinking all this.  This is my third year with baby goats so I have a lot to learn.  Thank you for your time!  Deb

ANSWER: Thanks for all the information.  Re the penicillin it is 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 days for an infection - this is for goats - and this should be given intramuscularly in the thigh muscles using a 20 gauge 3/4 or 1 inch length needle.  As long as the lochia is not brown or purple or bad smelling, lochia is normal through 6 to 8 weeks after kidding.  When you say you used oil was that cooking oil or mineral oil?  If cooking oil, only 30% of that stays in the rumen because the molecules are so small and so really does not do anything for the bloat or constipation.  Mineral oil is much better as 100% of the mineral oil stays in the goat's rumen to break up bubbles and/or relieve constipation.  Is her left side hard to touch or at all larger than normal?  Is she up to date on her CDT toxoid vaccination? Overating on fresh/wet grass can bring on grass tetany.  Is she peeing and pooping? Is her kid doing okay? Is she up and walking around?  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Didn't know that about cooking oil.  It is all I had so that is what I used.  This morning she was back to her normal size and pooping and peeing well. Up walking around and let me milk her like normal twice today.  She's up to date on her CDT.  Lochia is red and not smelly so no pen G needed.  Her kid is doing great.  He is a beautiful alpine boy.  I have seven babies running around all doing great.  What is grass tetany?
Thank you so much for your quick response!  Deb

Answer
Thanks for the update.  All sounds good.  Grass tetany is when a goat eats too much green grass and it causes symptoms of tetanus - stiff legged, can't move head, can't eat, etc.  and it is many times fatal.  It is caused by young green grass that is extremely low in magnesium and overeating of this type of grass pasture causes the symptoms of staggers, stiff legged, coma and death.  Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres