Hi, my angora goat gave birth around 8pm 3/22/13 and passed what I thought was the membranes, but she has a long thick trail of blood tinged mucus dangling now, and I haven't seen a placenta.
We all thought she would have twins, she was huge (still is) I tried "bouncing" her but I am inexperienced and not sure of what I felt. I guess my questions are, could she have another in there? How long should I wait to find out? How big is a placenta, typically, so I A can judge as to whether or not that was actually placenta, not just membranes and is the blood tinged mucus normal?

Goat placenta
Goat placenta  

goat afterbirth
goat afterbirth  
HI Heather ,
So sorry for the delay - winter weather not cooperating with internet connections
Many times the doe eats the afterbirth- this could be the case-  the more kids nurse the quicker the placenta releases. While some does thin right down after kidding - others will still look pregnant and as far as the bouncing, I personally have never had success  trying to use this method. Angoras typically give birth to singletons, although  twins and triplets can occur. Rule of thumb, there should never be a foul odor to any discharge from the vaginal area- so if there ever is a greyish or  smelly discharge, the source needs to be determined and antibiotics should be administered.  Sometimes it takes a full day for the afterbirth to release and drop - I am attaching a few photos of afterbirth so you can see it and also the size of it- also mom will look relatively clean back there for a week or two then she will get a bloody discharge that almost looks like a menstrual discharge, this is normal.

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University