Goats/poopy bottom

Question
Hi Donna , how are you ? One of my kids 5 weeks of age has a poop problem . I noticed it a few days ago , and then it went away , and today its back again . I haven't ruled out coccidia , but i believe it is something else , I'll explain . His mom is a huge milker 2-3 liters each time i milk her . i get the morning milk and he has her all day , and keeps her pretty dry , so hes getting 2-3 liters a day himself , which is a lot of milk . His mom is on 3 cups of feed morning and night , and a quart of good potatoes peels morning and night . I'm thinking it is the peelings coming through the milk , combined with the feed and high protein hay , and just the fact hes getting a lot of milk . With that all said , I'm not sure if i should confine to a couple feedings a day , or what . He is eating hay and a bit of grain . The poop is very soft not quite diarrhea color normal brown . Hes 25-30 lbs at 5 weeks a real big boy . Do you have any advice for me ?

Answer
So, brown color soft poop or diarrhea is either digestive upset or bacterial infection of the digestive tract. Sounds like from the feeding regimen of the mom that this is digestive upset.  If any of the potato peels had green on them then the kid got can have difficulty with those - toxic to kid goats.  The high protein also can easily cause the soft poop.  And, that is an awful lot of milk for a kid goat even at five weeks of age.  Would advise not letting him at his mom for at least part of the day and see if just that helps out.  Hope that helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres