Goats/Sores on my goats legs

QUESTION: Last Thursday my goat wasn't very interested in eating and her manure came out as two big clumps instead of little pellets. She looked like she was getting better. I knew she had a sore on he inside of her back right leg a week or so back but she came up to the feeder and wasn't liking her back left leg. There wasn't as much hair and she had some small sores. A day or so later I started noticing them on the other three legs and the sores on her left leg where getting worse. Any Idea what it might be?

ANSWER: Is the goat eating now? Generally when a goat has "dog poop" like poop then it has worms.  Are the sores open sores that are weeping a discharge? Are they red? How big are they?  The "sores" might be mange mites - these cause hair loss and small reddish sores.  If what you say are sores are just dry areas with flaking skin this can be selenium deficiency.  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Her poop is back to normal now. Most sores dont have discharge but their might some discharge from the bigger sore on her back left leg.They are red. Some sores are the size of a dime but some are the size of a quarter. She does have hair loss. This morning she was trying really hard not to use her back left leg to walk. The bottom of that eg looks puffy and swollen and its very sensitive.

Could she have been bitten or been wounded somehow in the back leg?  The puffy and swollen leg indicates an infection.  The different sores might not even be the same.  With the puffy/swollen leg would start her on penicillin injectable (intramuscular - have you given this before?) at 3 cc/100 pounds twice a day for 5 days.  Will also need probiotics during the antibiotic therapy - yogurt or gel or powder probiotic is fine once a day.  Also would give aspirin for the swelling - one 325 mg human aspirin per 100 pounds body weight twice a day - crush and dissolve in a little hot water, cool and give orally.  Would clean off the large sore twice a day - hydrogen peroxide and then place either a livestock antibiotic gel or NFZ antibiotic wound powder to the sore.  This sore could have been started by mange mites and then gone to a staph infection - with that said please be sure to wash your hands well after treating the larger sore.  Let me know - Donna 360-742-8310

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County