Goats/Whitley, nubian milking doe

Question
QUESTION: Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer goat questions!  We have a 5yr old Nubian doe that kidded on Feb 16.  She had triplets, lost one due to what we think was aspiration.  She is a heavy milker, had been....She was producing about 1/2 to 3/4 gal every milking, now, she is down to maybe a quart.  She seems to be eating, just not acting 100% right.  It was recommended that we give the does TUMS to prevent milk fever.  She also gets a children's chewable vitamin every day.  Tonight, we noticed her tail is droopy and that her hair isn't smooth, it kind of stands up.  We offered her warm water and she drank about 1/2 gal.  Also gave her goat magic.  (molasses mixture)  She hasn't had any changes to her feed or hay.  She seems really interested in eating straw.  Any ideas/suggestions?  Thanks so much!
Suzie

ANSWER: Generally hypocalcemia and ketosis occur either just before kidding or within a few days of kidding.  What is her temperature?  With the hair standing up it sounds like she has a fever.  Anything over 102.5 indicates an infection, and with a kid dying that could indicate an intrauterine infection.  The eating of straw sometimes indicates a digestive issue.  Is she pooping and peeing okay?  Is her poop pelleted form? Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Her temp is 101.4.  She seems to be peeing and pooping(pelleted) ok.  We wormed her 48 hours after kidding and 11 days later.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
Suzie

ANSWER: What type of weather are you having?  If the temperature is cold then the doe's body temperature of 101.4 could really be a fever of 103 or more.  The drinking a lot could also indicate a fever.  Is she eating her grain well?  I would advise starting her on a course of antibiotics - penicillin is my choice (at feed stores) at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 days - during this time she also needs probiotics.  I would also suggest (whether or not you start the antibiotics) to give her probiotics (I use yogurt - 2 tablespoons morning and night) and vitamin B complex (human - must include B1/thiamin) giving 4 times the human dose twice a day - crush the tablets and dissolve in a little hot water - I then mix in the yogurt and thin enough to draw up in an oral drenching syringe and then give orally twice a day for at least 5 days.  Does her breath smell sickly sweet at all?

Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: She is eating her grain well, she comes up to the manger to be fed and eats grain while she is being milked.  ANd then eats her hay.
Our day temps here have been 35 to 40 the past few weeks, a couple have been 50.  She doesn't have sweet smelling breath.  I did give her penicillin.  Any particular type of yogurt?  I have flavored greek yogurt here.  Do you think that her milk production will come back?

Answer
Thanks for the update.  She could have a slight fever and I would suggest use of 1 human 325 mg aspirin per 100 pounds body weight (crushed and dissolved in a little hot water) at least every 4-6 hours for 2 days.  Any type of yogurt is fine.  I would assume that once she is eating better and feeling better her milk production should return.  Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres