Goats/Billy Banding...

How late is to late to band a billy goat?  We usually band our boys early, but we didn't band one per someone's request who ended up backing out.  He was born the first week of March and he's been "humping" the little does lately.  We're worried about the does getting pregnant by their brother, but we're not sure if it's too late to band him, is it?  How old is too old to band?  Also, can our little does get pregnant?  They're about the same age as the billy - 2 months - or are we worrying over nothing?

What breed of goat? How large is the teticle sac? At 2 months of age a buckling is certainly capable of breeding.  But, most doelings are not ready to breed until about 4 months of age, so think you should be safe with that.  If the sac is no more than 1 1/2 inch in diameter it is possible to still band, although it will be very uncomfortable for the little guy - you can spray on a burn spray (has an anesthetic in it) before banding, then after banding.  You can also give the little guy one 81 mg human aspirin crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and given orally to help with pain and discomfort.  I do that when I band at 2 weeks - only needs one then, but would dose him when you band, and again in 4 hours and again 4 hours later.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County