Goats/dead goat

Hi Donna , again i learn my lessen the hard way . I have been feeding a few potatoe peels all winter to my goats , and a week ago stopped because of the warming weather , which made it hard to keep them fresh . I went a couple days ago and cleaned out a feeder and just threw the contents on the ground , mostly half rotten peels , not giving it another thought . Yesterday was barn cleaning day so being nice i let my girls all out in the inner encloser . I brought everyone in at supper , and after milking i noticed one goat was off by herself laying down which at feeding time was unusal . I decided to put her in a pen by herself and she picked at her food . I just put it off as mayby a cold or something . Through the night she had severe diarriah , and died . Took  a while to figure out what happened , and a friend who has discouraged me on these peelings mentioned the peels . I went and checked where the old peels had been dumped and sure enough most were gone . Put 2 and 2 together and you have your answer which i'm glad i found out . If i had of found out early enough what could i have done to save her ? I know this is hind sight but just in case something like this ever happens again . Lambs kill dosn't even act as quick as these potatoes . Thankyou .

Potato peels, especially ones with green spots on them are toxic to all livestock - some goats can tolerate a little but others cannot.  Sorry for the loss.  If you think a goat is poisoned you can start them on milk of magnesia - large amounts to cleanse out their system along with plenty of electrolytes to also keep them hydrated but also cleanse out their system.  I have found a product - don't know if I told you about it before - it is called BioSponge - made by Platinum horse products - made for horses - it is an oral medication that is given and it literally soaks up toxins and bacteria in the horse's gut - and it does the same in a goat's - I have used it in poison intake situations, enterotoxemia, E. coli, and other intestinal illnesses with great success.  You can purchase this online - it is a tube - about $12 - dosage is 1/2 inch per 15 pounds of body weight - given every 4 hours for at least two doses.  

Green tomatoes, potato leaves, rhubarb all are as toxic as the potato peels too.  

Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County